I want to be a more patient person. For the past year, I’ve been praying for more patience. I have found that the more I pray for patience, the more I find myself in frustrating situations. (I think this is God’s way of giving me opportunities to be patient. Tricky, tricky.) Well, I’m tired of waiting for results. (Damn you, impatience!)
This weekend, I took matters into my own hands and did some googling. I found this article. I thought it was unremarkable until I came across this line: “Always remember that you will eventually get what you want.” Lightbulb moment.
I honestly never thought of it like that. It’s true. Things I’m impatient about, but eventually I get what I want:
- People who don’t accelerate quickly when a street light turns green.
- When my students don’t do what I ask right away. (This one is just ridiculous. They are 12, they don’t do what anyone asks right away.)
- People who step in front of me or block my path when I’m shopping. (It’s especially aggravating at the grocery store.)
- Waiting for the next school holiday.
- Waiting for races.
- Waiting for my husband’s deployment to be over. (This is the hardest one because the wait is so long and I want him to come home so badly.)
If I step back though, I realize that all of these things will eventually happen, and I will eventually get what I want. The website says that it takes maturity to accept this. I agree, but it is already a little bit easier to be patient knowing that I’ll get my way. I just need to wait.
I don’t think this will make the deployment go by any faster, but if I can be more patient in smaller areas of life, I think it’ll make me a lot happier.
Are you an impatient person? Any tips for becoming more patient?*